Thursday, March 13, 2008

Another One!?

Okay, so I know I've already posted a link to a site for the Underground Railroad but I'm afraid I'm going to post about another so here goes.

This one is from the National Geographic website (let it be known that I absolutely love national geographic!) and once more it's about slavery that occurred in North America and the Underground Railroad that some of them were able to use to escape to freedom.

I could use this website in a different way than the last. I would attempt to connect this to Grade 6 Social Studies: Unit One - Location (particularly Location and Grid and Maps). As the students completed this online activity, I would get them to jot down all of the places that they went, following Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. Then, I would have them mark down on a map ( that I'd give them) the coordinates of the places they passed through. This would get them to practice their mapping and grid skills. They would create a legend as well for the places. If I wanted to, I could get them to research one fact about the town or landscape they passed through.

I think this website would enhance student's learning because they would get an idea of the proportionality between the cities of the Underground Railroad, as well as the distance these people had to travel to get to freedom.

No comments: